The Story of The Letters Page
About The Letters Page
The Letters Page published its first issue in October 2013, sending a selection of letters from Magnus Mills, Colum McCann, Clare Wigfall, and Gerard Donovan, amongst others, to our small-but-heroic band of early subscribers. The issue was launched by the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Nottingham, Sir David Greenaway, who pressed the appropriate button on the laptop and sent the PDF file winging its way into the world.
The subsequent six issues, featuring letters from Kevin Barry, George Saunders, Claire-Louise Bennett, Naomi Alderman, Andrey Kurkov, Joanna Walsh, and many more, have reached the email inboxes of an ever-growing list of subscribers; some of whom have chosen to print out and fold the issue into a variety of formats, others of whom have preferred to read it on the screen of their choice.
We’ve been sent letters from every continent except Antarctica (and we’re working on that); letters about love and loss and hope and annoyance, letters that have made us laugh and letters that have made us gaze wistfully through our office window; letters on blue paper, cream paper, white paper, letters on tissues and napkins, letters on postcards and letters stuffed into bottles. We’ve enjoyed reading them all, and choosing which ones to publish.
The first print issue of The Letters Page was published in 2016. Volume 2 was published in September 2017 and following on from the celebration of the printed object of Vol 1, Vol 2 comes in a limited edition embossed envelope.
The Letters Page in the Press
- Review: The Letters Page, Vol 2. (The Love Lettering Project, September 2017)
- Book Review: The Letters Page Vol. 2 (Spectra Magazine, September 2017)
- Review: The Letters Page, Vol. 2 (Notes on Paper, September 2017)
- Interview with the editor (Bookanista, May 2017)
- Interview with Jon McGregor (The Guardian, April 2017)
- How Poets Write Letters (The TLS, January 2017)
- Sending a postcard from somewhere you've never been (BBC News, December 2016)
- Jon McGregor: From me, with love: the lost art of letter writing (The Guardian, November 2016)
- Review: The Letters Page at The Manchester Literature Festival (October 2015)
- The Letters Page Launch (Impact, 8 Oct 2013)
- Jon McGregor: A year without email (The Guardian, 4 Oct 2013)
- New literary journal to celebrate the art of the letter (University of Nottingham, 1 Oct 2013)
- The antiquated art of the long-hand letter finds a modern home (The Guardian, 30 Sept 2013)
- Dear All, please carry on writing letters. Yours, the Professor: Launch of The Letters Page journal (The Independent, 29 Sept 2013)
- Nottingham professor launches journal looking into letter writing (Nottingham Post, 27 Sept 2013)
Back to top